Monday 22 April 2013

Pat-a-cake pat-a-cake

This is a bit of a delayed post but I feel that it is still relevant as there will probably never be a time in my life when I'm not a massive fan of cakes!
I have recently discovered Edinburgh's Sicilian bakery which is one of the city's culinary gems. I received a selection of creamy, fruit laden cakes as an Easter gift which were a refreshing alternative to chocolate bunnies and eggs. They are wonderfully decorated and are perfectly stylish edible treat for a special occasion.
 

Next cakes to be consumed were some fairy cakes as made by yours truly! I experimented with these by hiding mini creme eggs in the middle which melted slightly while baking. The chocolate hardened slightly inside and I probably could have followed a recipe to ensure gooeyness but sometimes it's better to freestyle. I love neon and candy colours so was delighted to find the sugar topping in Waitrose (they have an amazing baking section).


 
Following on with the Easter theme are these creations made and designed by my sister Heather. The biscuits were like Faberge eggs, art in themselves. They were as delicious as they were creative though I did feel a little bit sad eating them.




Last but not least was an indulgent treat from Earthy Foods, an organic supermarket with a relaxing cafe offering yummy, nutritious salads and lunches as well as indulgent cakes, loaves and biscuits. I enjoyed an individual beetroot and chocolate cake with coconut icing. I would love to try making a beetroot cake, the texture is fudgey and a lot lighter than other chocolate options. This mini loaf cake was the perfect treat for a quiet afternoon, accompanied by coffee and a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment