Friday 8 June 2012

Rain rain go away

It's June, it's grey outside, it's raining. I really need to accept that this is the way Scottish summers are, contrary to the TV adverts encouraging us all to have a staycation and head for the coast (where I'm sure the wind and rain are even worse).

This has not stopped me lusting after espadrilles, summer dresses and outfit building in my head in preparation for the sun's appearance, but in the meantime, I am dressing in woollen tights paired with Breton stripes and light knitwear to give a summery feel to more practical clothing. I obviously had to wear my Noah's ark necklace from topshop to get into the rainy spirit. Printed scarves and simple bags make this an understated daytime look which is lightened by the weight of the scarf (also useful as shelter from the rain so they should be the larger variety). An umbrella is obviously essential and you can't beat a bit of summer aztec to add a pop or two of colour to an outfit! Be warned though, if you are visiting Edinburgh, a hat is a much better idea. Wind is a permanent feature of the city and does effect how I dress, following a few unfortunate moments when wearing floaty skirts and dresses in very busy public areas. My advise is to always look at the trees outside before leaving the house, I base many of my clothing decisions on the branches  outside the windows of my flat!





So having dressed particularly well for the conditions whilst still incorporating summer clothes (I am determined to have a summer) I visited a few of the museums on the Royal Mile. Friday is always a busy day around the city, with half days at schools and tourists arriving for the weekend, so the smaller museums seemed an ideal choice.

I visited the Museum of Edinburgh, which has been recently renovated and has a lot of random artifacts, including greyfriars bobby's bowl and collar and a piece of wood from the witches tree which was in Princes street Garden.  There is a decent amount of information about the central city and particularly the Cannongate where it is based and was interesting from a locals perspective.

After this I crossed the road to the People's museum, to specifically look for some artefact's which were donated from my Great Grandmothers house. There were no records of donation on the items but I have been told that several of her kitchen utensils were there, I wonder how long they will remain there for as they become older.....This museum  tells stories about characters who lived in Edinburgh through the ages but is quite dated, with a real 80s feel. It had more of a social history feel, the clue is in the name.


In other news I made a delicious coconut, banana and cherry loaf from a Nigella Lawson recipe. I sometimes 'accidentally' leave bananas to ripen just so I can make a yummy cake and this one is definitely a new favourite!



The rest of the day will be taken up eating the pictured cake, avoiding Euro 2012 and watching movies.... I guess I do quite enjoy a rainy day, but only occasionally!!




1 comment:

  1. Ooh yum I absolutely love banana bread, one of my faves! Your outfit is lovely too:) Xx

    ReplyDelete